No Trip matches your search criteira
Birds in Costa Rica
Because of its location, Costa Rica is a unique bird paradise. The country has many different habitats that are of great importance for both migratory and endemic species. In the costarican area you will find more than 900 different bird species, which are admired by national as well as international tourists due to their huge selection of feathering colors and different birds' voices. The clay-colored thrush (Turdus grayi) is widespread and the national bird of Costa Rica.
Among the most beautiful birds you can observe in Costa Rica are:
- 36 hawks, including the black-collared hawk
- 10 trogons, including the quetzal
- 8 toucans, including the Swainson toucan and the rainbow-billed toucan
- 6 motmos, including the Amazonian motmot
- 46 hummingbird species, including the green hermit
- Numerous species of parrots, including the great green macaw and the scarlet macaw
- various ibis and spoonbill species, among them the roseate spoonbill
- and many more
The best destinations for birdwatching are the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Piedras Blancas National Park, San Gerardo de Dota, Palo Verde National Park and the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge.